Sunday, October 23, 2011

Time and Stuff....

It's been several months since I last posted.  Lots has happened since June.  After I moved Mom into a local nursing home, everything changed.  I retired, we finished cleaning out Mom's house, sold her house, took my grandchildren on a week's trip, and I must say that I am tired and retired.

It seems that I have a shortage of time and an abundance of stuff.   I need more time to visit with Mom, time to catch up with grandkids and their activities, time to organize stuff and time for my projects.   Time, time, time....

Stuff...I have plenty of stuff.  Stuff from Mom's house, stuff from downsizing Mom from assisted living to the nursing home, stuff from selling my shop, stuff from my children even though they are grown and no longer at home...just their stuff.  So I'm organizing, eliminating and having garage sales.    Stuff, stuff, stuff....

And Mom....she has been doing pretty well in the nursing home.  She developed an infection in her pressure wound on her bottom and she was in pretty bad shape for about a week, but antibiotics kicked in rapidly and turned her around.  But the experience sent her spiraling into another place...more confusion, weakness and blank stares.  Many days she did not know me.  It's been a couple of weeks and she has climbed back to almost where she was.  There are still many blank stares, lags in the conversation, but almost always she remembers when I tell her, "See you later" she responses "Alligator".  Then I say "After while" and she responses, "Crocodile."  I know that somewhere in the near future she will forget that response, but for now I treasure this exchange.  

Moments, time and stuff...treasures that keep life interesting.

1 comment: